Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Ultimate Writing Encouragement

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."
- Agatha Christie

"When asked, 'How do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time.'"
- Stephen King

"One thing that helps is to give myself permission to write badly. I tell myself that I'm going to do my five or 10 pages no matter what, and that I can always tear them up the following morning if I want. I'll have lost nothing -- writing and tearing up five pages would leave me no further behind than if I took the day off."
- Lawrence Block

"Don't get discouraged if you're hammering away at a sentence or a paragraph or a chapter, and it keeps coming out wrong. You're allowed to get it wrong, as many times as you need to; you only need to get it right once." 
- Tana French

"Any man who keeps working is not a failure. He may not be a great writer, but if he applies the old-fashioned virtues of hard, constant labor, he'll eventually make some kind of career for himself as writer."
- Ray Bradbury

Also check out my previous inspirational and educational posts:
Great Tips For Your Own Writing
101 Websites For Authors
Persevere
Inspirational Quotes
Tips on Contest and Publishing Submissions

2 comments:

  1. I love Lawrence Block's quote -- so true. We need to learn to forgive ourselves if we write something we don't like, then start again. It helps that Block is one of my favorite writers and I've read all his early Matthew Scudder books (don't like the ones after he marries)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Jeannette :)
      I totally stand behind that quote, as we can't make anything if we don't try. Sometimes it might turn out disappointing, but oftentimes it will pay off. Even if it does come out differently than what was intended, see it as a practice and go on with the stuff that really matters!
      It's the only way to make progress.

      Hanne.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts and comments with me! I absolutely love to hear from you :-)