Friday, September 12, 2014

The Unusual Rejection

It must have been only several months ago that I received the most unexpected rejection email ever. Without having even sent in my work. Yes, you heard that right. I had not even given them a synopsis.

Before publishing, I wanted to make sure my story would find a home with a good and reliable publishing company, which is why I sent in several preliminary questions. Mostly just about basic things, like rights and distribution.


Well, I was flabbergasted when I found this in my inbox soon after:

Dear Writer:
Thank you for your interest in publishing with AP. Your project is not a good fit for AP's current needs.
Sincerely,
AF

So, naturally, I replied, completely confused but willing to clear up this fogginess. I politely asked why my work had been rejected, as I had not yet sent in any information on the story, nor had I provided a sample. I received an incredibly odd email in return, being told that my questions were "insalting." Not only was this reply rude and the spelling horrific, it was not made up of more than a single sentence, having no greetings in the beginning or regards at the end.

I wrote back a long email, explaining to the company that I am only seventeen years old and just embarking on the publishing journey. If I had indeed insulted them I was sorry, and I explained how I naturally was not yet as knowledgeable on the subject as she was. It was a long and apologetic email, and I received back a single sentence answer:

Stop quering you received a rejection letter.

The spelling, grammar, and brevity say it all. Well, I was happy I had done some preliminary questioning before sending off my work!

Have you experienced any queer or unusual rejections? Or do you have any related advice to other authors? If so, share them in the comment box below!


** The names of the company and correspondent have been changed for privacy reasons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments with me! I absolutely love to hear from you :-)